“Top Technology Trends and their Cyber Implications”
Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, Professional Services Council
IT modernization and improving cybersecurity are the top two technology issues that federal agencies must address. Aging IT infrastructure creates a host of problems for government, including spending too much money, being unable to take advantage of new technologies, innovations and delivery channels, and introducing huge cybersecurity risks and vulnerabilities.
Never has the need for speed and agility been more crucial than it is today in addressing current cybersecurity policies and practices. While progress has been made in addressing some cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities, far too many cybersecurity efforts remain highly reactive, taking years to address known vulnerabilities. We must stop “aiming behind us,” and move from “security through denial of service” to proactive efforts that focus on risk management, data-driven decision making, cyber situational understanding, continuous monitoring, secure information sharing and trusted computing from untrusted devices.
During this session, we will cover:
- Opportunities to accelerate and improve federal IT modernization efforts.
- How the convergence of technology and services in the private sector affects government acquisitions.
- Advice on improving on-going cybersecurity efforts, governance, alignment and reciprocity.
- Insights on how federal agencies can move from reactive security efforts to embrace risk management, continuous monitoring, secure information sharing and trusted computing from untrusted devices.
- How to improve access to innovative solutions and address the fact that some agencies take far too long to contract for needed solutions, often failing to use contracting practices that would bring speed and foster innovation.
- Moving from a culture of “oversight” to a culture focused on “outcomes.”
- Insights on the technology priorities of the new administration and Congress, and the impact and opportunities of the new cybersecurity executive order, Modernizing Government Technology Act, OMB reorganization memo and the Office of American Innovation.
- Successfully addressing the change management issues that must be embraced to succeed in these transformation efforts.
|“How to Effectively Manage ISC/OT Cybersecurity”
Director of Information Security, BBVA Compass